The Human Physiology research group has an environmental chamber that allows to set any temperature between 5 and 50°C, combined with humidity. Furthermore, this chamber can also be brought at normobaric hypoxia (up to 6000m) be retracting oxygen from the ambient air.
Contact: Romain Meeusen
Broad range of analytical equipment
- (Miniaturized) Liquid chromatography with electrochemical, fluorescence or ultraviolet detection for the determination of neurotransmitters (amino acids, GABA, monoamines) and drugs
- Enantioselective liquid chromatographic method with fluorescence detection for analysis of D-serine and glutamate in biological samples
- Microbore ultra-high performance liquid chromatography electrochemical detection for quantification of monoamines
- NanoUHPLC-triple quadrupole mass spectrometer for quantification of neuropeptides
Contact: Ann Van Eeckhaut
Equipment and software packages LAMI groep
- General purpose electrical and optical measurement infrastructure
- Electromagnetic measurement equipment up to 700 GHz
- MicrowaveStudio: an Electromagnetic FDTD problem solver
- COMSOL: a Multi-physics simulation package
- Open source software: neuron spiking and neural networks
- Microelectronics laboratory, including MEMS fabrication, e.g. microfluidics
Contact: Johan Stiens
Behavioral monitoring in rodents
The research group Experimental Pharmacology provides training and access for a range of behavioural paradigms and automated video tracking systems for behavioural monitoring and analysis in small rodents. These paradigms can be used to evaluate activity, anxiety, fear, pain, learning and memory.
- Rotarod and rotameter
- Running wheels
- Open field
- Forced swim test
- Elevated plus maze
- Barnes maze
- Fear conditioning
- Passive avoidance
- Place preference
- Hot plate test
Contact: Dimitri De Bundel
Neurochemical and physiological monitoring in rodents
The research group Experimental Pharmacology provides access to stereotaxic surgery and units for intracerebral microdialysis for neuro-and gliotransmission measurement (monoamines, amino acids, neuropeptides), telemetry-based electro-encephalographic monitoring, blood pressure and heart rate monitoring in small rodents.
We have experience with a broad range of rat and mouse models for various neurological disorders.
Contact: Ilse Smolders